Iran's military has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who kills or captures a U.S. service member, with the reward doubled to $60,000 if the act is carried out by a woman.
Iran Army Commander-in-Chief General Amir Hatami: Anyone Who Captures or Kills an American and Hands Him Over to Our Military Will Receive a Gift of $30,000 pic.twitter.com/J7WuZDaQZi
โ MEMRI (@MEMRIReports) August 17, 2026
Iranian Army Commander-in-Chief Maj. Gen. Amir Hatami made the announcement Sunday, describing it as a form of "financial jihad." According to Iran's state-run IRNA news agency, the plan followed a large volume of requests from Iranians seeking to participate. Hatami said the reward would come to "a reward equivalent to $30,000 or 5 billion tomans," using an informal unit equal to 10,000 Iranian rials. The announcement also promises that any weapon used in such an act would be purchased by the army at double its market value and replaced.
Hatami singled out women specifically for a doubled payout โ a detail also confirmed independently by the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB), Iran's state broadcaster, in a separate Sunday post.
Hatami did not specify a location or timeframe. There is no known deployment of U.S. ground forces inside Iran during the current conflict, aside from a limited rescue operation in April for a downed American airman. The bounty appears aimed instead at U.S. personnel operating elsewhere in the broader Middle East.
The statement lands as the U.S.-Iran memorandum of understanding โ signed by President Trump at Versailles in June and setting a 60-day deadline to end the war and reach a nuclear accord โ formally expired Monday with no renewal in sight. Talks have stalled over reopening the Strait of Hormuz and lifting a U.S. blockade on Iran, both of which the interim deal called for; neither has happened, and there's no sign detailed nuclear talks have even begun. Pakistan, which helped broker the June agreement, said last week it was still hoping for an extension, with a Foreign Ministry spokesman saying simply that Islamabad is "not closing the chapter."
