Tuesday, August 18, 2026
WECUNews
World

Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan Sign Mutual Defense Pact โ€” Iran Calls It "Not Aimed" at Anyone

Three of the region's most capable militaries just formed a NATO-style mutual defense alliance. Turkey insists it isn't targeting Iran. Iran's Foreign Ministry publicly agrees โ€” even as its own lawmakers warn Riyadh the pact won't save it.

By Lynn Matthews - August 10, 2026
Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan Sign Mutual Defense Pact โ€” Iran Calls It "Not Aimed" at Anyone

โ€” Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan signed a sweeping mutual defense agreement in Mecca on Friday, formally binding three of the Muslim world's most capable militaries into a NATO-style collective security arrangement โ€” even as all sides publicly insist the pact isn't directed at any specific country.

What the Pact Actually Says

The Mecca Joint Defence Agreement was signed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Salman, and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. Its core provision states that "an armed attack against any of the three states shall be regarded as an attack against them all" โ€” language Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan has described as "technically" similar to NATO's Article 5 collective-defense clause. Beyond the mutual-defense provision, the agreement establishes regular joint committee meetings among the three countries' foreign ministers, defense ministers, and military chiefs, along with a permanent secretariat to be based in Saudi Arabia. Defense-industry cooperation โ€” including shared access to each country's military technology โ€” was described as a significant focus of the talks in Mecca.

The combination is notable on its own terms: Saudi Arabia brings substantial oil wealth, Pakistan brings nuclear weapons, and Turkey brings NATO's second-largest standing army along with a rapidly growing domestic defense industry.

"Not Aimed at Iran" โ€” But Preparations Predate the War

Fidan told Turkey's state-run Anadolu agency the pact "does not identify Iran, or any other country, as a common threat," and said countries that don't attack the signatories would not be considered targets. He noted preparations for the agreement had been underway for nearly two years and eight months โ€” predating the current war โ€” and said Egypt was expected to join "at the next stage," with other unnamed countries also expressing interest.

Regional analysts see it differently. The Atlantic Council's Middle East experts wrote that the agreement "bolsters [Saudi Arabia's] leverage as it both copes with an emboldened Iran and confronts the limits of US deterrence in the region," and comes as "the Iran war threatens to restart and Houthi attacks from Yemen already have." Al Jazeera's own analysis was more direct, noting that while signatories have avoided naming a threat explicitly, "Iran, meanwhile, has already attacked Saudi Arabia, as have other Iranian-backed groups. Saudi Arabia, for its part, has responded with strikes on Iranian-backed groups in Iraq."

Iran's Two Voices

Iran's official diplomatic response has echoed Turkey's framing. Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman said this week there is "no reason to see the agreement between Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan as an agreement aimed at Iran," characterizing it instead as regional countries recognizing that "security can no longer be achieved through the United States" and calling for regional states to build trust and security "without the involvement of external factors."

Other voices inside Iran's own government have struck a sharper tone. Mahmoud Nabavian and Ebrahim Rezaei, both members of Iran's parliamentary National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, publicly warned Saudi Arabia that the pact wouldn't guarantee its security. "The Saudis should understand that a paper agreement with Turkey and Pakistan will not bring them security, just as decades of one-sided dependence on the Americans failed to do so," Rezaei wrote on X, a remark widely read as a pointed warning rather than a shrug.

The gap between those two messages โ€” an official diplomatic line insisting the pact isn't about Iran, and parliamentary hardliners publicly warning Saudi Arabia that it won't help against Iran โ€” is itself worth noting. Whatever the pact's formal legal target, both Riyadh and Tehran appear to understand what it's actually responding to.

This is a developing story. WECU Media will continue tracking regional reaction to the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement.

Sources:

โ—       Al Jazeera, "Turkiye, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan sign joint defence agreement: What's in it?" Aug. 7, 2026

โ—       Al Jazeera, "Turkiye says Mecca defence pact not aimed at Iran," Aug. 8, 2026

โ—       CNN, "Saudi Arabia turns to Muslim military heavyweights in landmark defense pact as Iran war closes in," Aug. 7, 2026

โ—       ABC News, "Defense pact with Saudi Arabia, Pakistan not aimed at Iran, Turkey says," Aug. 8, 2026

โ—       Atlantic Council, "Why Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Turkey just signed a defense pact," 2026

โ—       Al Jazeera, "Will Pakistan-Saudi-Turkiye alliance actually create a new regional order?" Aug. 7, 2026

Have a correction or tip? See our corrections policy or contact the newsroom.

Comments

to join the discussion.

Loading comments...

Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan Sign Mutual Defense Pact โ€” Iran Calls It "Not Aimed" at Anyone - WECU News